The client, Department of Land Affairs, is part of the South African government, which provides land affair services for the defense and civilian sectors. It offers strategies which include; Proactive land acquisition strategy & Land for housing strategy. Services offered by the Ministry include State Land Disposal Module, Survey Services, and National Spatial Information Framework (NSIF).
The government department was in charge of several programmes like Farm Equity Schemes, Settlement Schemes, Non-Agricultural Schemes etc. The data being generated was huge and it was residing in various document formats. There was duplication and mismanagement of important data sets which created expense issues. Information flow processes often changed since it was available in bits and pieces with concerned team members.
Our architects developed a roadmap whose objectives involve further development of computer technology and applications to enhance the operability and efficiency of land registration and transfer and support the wider roles that information plays in spatial data infrastructures. The modules enabled were Providing security of tenure, Registering the size, extent and spatial relationships of land parcels, Developing land policy; Controlling land use and development through planning schemes; Managing and administering the estates; Providing public access to land administration information etc.
- Proper records management allowed access faster reducing timeouts
- Safe and secure due to a robust IT infrastructure available
- Structured information helps the lawmakers and planners alike to put policies in place easily
- Faster resolution to any issues
- Better accountability and customer service response
Learnings – These are the inputs we got out of this project
- Follow coding standards and check that standard with automated tools
- The nature of modern software projects demands a spiral-based development process
- A knowledge management system can also be used for such projects and a workflow built around to facilitate secure access mechanism