The client, ABB, is a global leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve their performance while lowering environmental impact. Technology plays a key role for ABB and all its activities all over the world working to develop unique technologies that make our customers more competitive, while minimizing environmental impact.
ABB needed to implement a complete emailing cum collaboration tool. It needed to integrate the business processes that provided integrated collaboration functionality, including email, calendaring, contacts management, to do tracking, instant messaging and an office productivity suite.
A brief study of the end user patterns and business requirements was done to assess the functionality to be achieved. Then IBM Lotus Notes was suggested as a solution that could be spawned to include third-party applications, add-ins, add-ons, widgets, plug-ins and more, such as document management systems, discussion forums, and numerous other business applications. A team of senior architect and 3 developers was commissioned to deliver the same. Two usability evaluations were carried out at intervals of 15 days in order to allow changes to the system to be incorporated. Training was also provided to the end users.
- Provides a reliable and secure messaging system for business communication
- Enables customized workflow applications enhances productivity across functions
- Enables collaboration across various functions within the organization
- Provides users capabilities like knowledge sharing, instant messaging and knowledge repository
- Reduces paper work with easy access to information online
- Saves around three man hours a day in performing tasks like giving approvals, accessing information, training and automation
Learnings – We became conscious to aspects like
- Change Management approach should be included in such implementations
- User adoption of new technology is a gradual and difficult process
- Involving the business stakeholders in active engagement helps better expectations management